Mayors Manor was originally a home that was built in 1893 for Bloomington’s Mayor James Costello and his family. In 1941, the house became the home of another Bloomington Mayor, Walt Bittner and his wife Irene, where they raised their four children. In 1998, the Bittners asked the City of Bloomington to help them find a way to have their former home serve a community purpose. The City of Bloomington and Mid Central Community Action were, and still are, both members of the Continuum of Care. As a result of this partnership, the development of Mayors Manor had begun.